Macquarie Street, Sydney
Originally designed by the society architect John Verge for John Fairfax in 1832.
The building was bequeathed to the college as their headquarters. It houses not only their administration, but also their art and rare medical book library.
We designed new interior fitout spaces, specified external finishes, and designed a multi-function rooftop space that takes full advantage of the views over the Royal Botanic Gardens and Sydney Harbour beyond.
As the building has national heritage significance, we were required to be extremely respectful of the original building. This meant that a lot of conventional approaches had to be forsaken so that we could retain the original building fabric in its undamaged state.
We had one wall on the upper floor that had many changes over the years so we were able to make a significant change to the external fabric there.
On our encouragement, a conservator was brought in to advise on the correct storage of the library collection.